October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease.
Nutrition, which is basically giving your body the nutrients it needs at all life stages is important for everyone..
As you always hear, some food can make your body the healthiest it can be, boost your immune system, and help keep your risk for breast cancer as low as possible. But also maintaining a healthy weight may help reduce the risk of breast cancer..
Studies have shown that women who gained weight after their breast cancer diagnosis had an increased risk of recurrence, so weight is an important factor..
Look at this study for example.. In fact, Japanese women (they eat healthy food) have a much lower rate of breast cancer than American women. But when Japanese women emigrate to live in the USA, their breast cancer risk goes up. So the difference in risk must has to do with lifestyle or the environment rather than any inherited risk. And the most obvious change is their whole lifestyle (way of eating, activity factor, pollution..)
Regarding the food we eat, there is no strong evidence that ONE specific food or supplement will prevent the risk of getting breast cancer or reduce the risk of recurrence.
Actually the research of diet and breast cancer is still ongoing, but what we need to focus on:
- Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit (more than 5 cups a day), as those contain a lot of antioxidants, that prevent oxidation, so prevents free radicals form producing in the body.. Free Radicals formation are a risk factor of any cancer.
- Keep your body weight in a healthy range
- Try to limit your fat intake to less than 30% of your total calories per day. So start eliminating some food with the highest fat content and gradually lower the amount of unhealthy fat you eat, like fried food, butter, yellow cheese, croissants, donuts, cakes…)
- Eat food high in omega-3 fatty acids like fish, salmon, tuna, nuts, avocado, olive oil, canola oil
- Eat more Soy, like edemame, or drink soya milk.. Soy contain isoflavones, that act as weak estrogen in the body, and prevent cancer cells for developping.
- Avoid trans fat, red meat, and any food that has been cooked on very high temperatures, or even eating burned food
- Stay Away from processed food and food that contain Nitrates, like salami, hotdog, mortadella
- Stay away from any food that contain colorant like candies, soft drinks..
Stay Fresh and eat every food in its season.