Metabolism is the chemical reaction in the body that uses the fuel of the food we eat and convert it to energy needed for us to think, to move,to grow.
It is measured according to :
The basal metabolic rate: BMR which is the resting metabolic rate, that means how quickly you body works when you are resting.
The total energy expenditure: TEE which is the sum of BMR and the physical activity you are doing throughout the day.
FOODS THAT BOOST YOUR METABOLISM:
. Milk, whole grain cereal, and oatmeal:
secret ingredients: calcium, complex carbohydrates, and fiber.
.spices, yellow mustard and peppers: speed up you heart rate
. green tea, coffee: speed up the brain and nervous system
salmon, tuna, sardines: omega 3 Fatty Acids increases the activity of a hormone called leptin, this hormone is responsable for weight loss.
lean meat, chicken turkey: you need more time to digest the proteins comparing to carbohydrates, so more energy is needed
5 tips to increase your metabolism:
1. Always eat breakfast in the morning, don’t skip it. If you wait until mid or afternoon to eat, your metabolism will go down.
2. divide your food throughout the day, eat 3 to 4 small meals and 3 to 4 hours apart.
3. park your car further and walk, use the stairs instead of the elevator, do more activities in the house to burn more calories.
4. don’t stave yourself if you want to lose weight, this will slow down your metabolism, but on the opposite side you have to plan your meals, prepare it and take it with you , skip the 6 hours gaps between your meals.
5. don’t depend on herbal products to boost your metabolism like green tea and coffee, this will be minimum, but take instead energy foods, like whole grains, fruits and vegetables..